Disaster Relief Contacts

General disaster resources


Legal help

  • LawHelp: http://www.lawhelp.org helps low and moderate income people find free legal aid programs in their communities and answers to questions about their legal rights. Find information for free legal aid or pro bono legal assistance in all 50 states plus US territories.
  • http://www.findlegalhelp.org/ Find legal resources in your state. Maintained by the American Bar Association.


Federal contact information

FEMA (Disaster Assistance) 1-800-621-3362
(TTY line) 1-800-462-7585
United States Citizenship & Immigration Services 1-800-375-5283
(TTY line) 1-800-767-1833
United States Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-1040
United States Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213
(TTY line) 1-800-325-0778
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1-800-CDC-INFO; cdcinfo@cdc.gov

FEMA disaster recovery centers in Missouri by county:
Little Axe Elementary School
2000 168th Ave
Norman, OK 73026


State Contact Information

Oklahomas Attorney General’s Office:(OKC) 405-521-3921
Oklahomas Attorney General’s Office:(Tulsa) 918-581-2885
OK Insurance Department:(OKC) 405-521.2828
OK Insurance Department:(Tulsa) 918-295-3700
Oklahoma Department of Human Services: 405-521-3646
Oklahoma Natrual Resource Conservation: 580-237-4321
Oklahoma Employment Security Commision: 405-557-7100
CompSource Oklahoma: 405-232-7663
Oklahoma Department of Labor:(OKC) 405-521-6100
Oklahoma Department of Labor:(Tulsa) 918-581-2400
Oklahoma Department of Health: 405-522-0726
Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services: 405-522-3908(Local)
Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services: 800-522-9054 (Toll Free)

Oklahoma Small Business Development Centers– 580-745-2877 http://www.oksbdc.org


Insurance Company Contact Information

The following table is a list of common commercial insurance carriers. If your insurance carrier is not listed, please refer to your policy or your contact information or visit the Insurance Information Institute to locate contact information for your insurance carrier http://www2.iii.org/companies.cfm.

Insurance CompanyWebsite UrlContact Number
CNA http://www.cna.com877-262-2727
The Hartford Financial Grouphttp://www.thehartford.com800-327-3636
MetLife Auto & Homehttp://www.metlife.com800-854-6011
Westfield Grouphttp://www.westfieldinsurance.com866-937-2663
Utica National Insurance Group http://www.uticanational.com800-216-1420
ACE USAhttp://www.acelimited.com800-433-0385
Ironshore Insurance Ltd.http://www.ironshore.com877-476-6411
Harleysville Insurancehttp://www.harleysville.com800-892-8877
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.http://www.hanover.com800-628-0250
Aegis Insurance Services Inc. http://www.aegislink.com201-508.2740
Allstate Insurance Group http://www.allstate.com800-255-7828
Century Surety Companyhttp://www.centurysurety.com800-825-9489
W. R. Berkley Corporationhttp://www.wrberkley.comContact Agent
Liberty Mutual Grouphttp://www.libertymutual.com800-225-2467
Magna Carter Companieshttp://www.mcarta.comContact Agent
Farmers Group, Inc. http://www.farmers.com800-435-7764
OneBeacon Insurance Group http://www.onebeacon.com877-248-3455
Allianz of America, Inc.http://www.allianz.com1-866-884-3556
CUNA Mutual Grouphttp://www.cunamutual.com800-356-2644
Kemperhttp://www.kemper. com866-536-7376
Safeco Corporationhttp://www.safeco.com800-332-3226
James River Group, Inc.http://www.james-river-group.comContact Agent
Selective Insurance Group http://www.selectiveinsurance.com866-455-9969
Zurich North America http://www.zurichna.com800-987-3373
GuideOne Insurancehttp://www.guideone.com888-748-4326
Alea Group http://www.aleagroup.com860-513-4180
The Sullivan Group http://www.gjs.comContact Agent
State Farm http://www.statefarm.com1-800-782-8332
Chubb Group Of Insurance Companies http://www.chubb.com800-252-4670


Oklahoma Offices of Emergency Management

Name of Emergency ManagementAddressContact Number
Adair County Emergency Mgmt600 Meade Drive Stilwell OK 74960918-696-4255
Alfalfa County Emergency Mgmt300 S. Grand Cherokee OK 73728580-596-2392
Atoka Co. Emergency Mgmt200 East Court St Suite Atoka OK 74525580-364-0309
Beaver Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 786 Beaver OK 73932580-625-3498
Beckham Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 67 Sayre OK 73662580-928-9264
Blaine County Emergency Mgmt P.O. Box 138 Watonga OK 73772580-623-8566
Bryan Co/Durant Emergency Mgmt2808 Enterprise Dr Durant OK 74701580-924-3661
Caddo Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 1427 Anadarko OK 73005405-933-1600
Canadian Co Emergency Mgmt 201 N. Choctaw El Reno OK 73036405-295-6186
Carter Co Emergency Mgmt 107 SW 1st Street, Anne Ardmore OK 73401580-223-7937
Cherokee Co./Tahlequah EM111 S. Cherokee Tahlequah OK 74464 918-456-2894
Choctaw Co Emergency Mgmt 300 East Duke Hugo OK 74743580-326-2000
Cleveland Co Emergency Mgmt201 S. Jones Norman OK 73069405-366-0249
Coal County Emergency Mgmt 3 S. Main Coalgate OK 74538580-927-9008
Comanche Co Emergency Mgmt315 SW 5th Rm 107 Lawton OK 73501580-355-0535
Cotton County Emergency Mgmt301 North Broadway Walters OK 73572580-875-3031
Craig Co Emergency Mgmt210 W Delaware Suite 1 Vinita OK 74301918-244-1452
Creek County Emergency Mgmt317 E. Lee Sapulpa OK 74066918-227-6365
Custer Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 300 Arapaho OK 73620580-323-4105
Dewey Co Emergency MgmtPO Box 368 Taloga OK 73667580-328-5580
Ellis Co. Emergency Mgmt. P.O. Box 283 Arnett OK 73832580-334-0275
Garfield Co/Enid Emergency Mgmt 410 W Garriott Enid OK 73701580-249-5969
Garvin County Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 237 Pauls Valley OK 73075405-238-1148
Grady Co Emergency Mgmt P.O. Box 339 Chickasha OK 73023405-222-2339
Grant County Emergency Mgmt 112 E. Guthrie Medford OK 73759580-395-2214
Greer Co/Mangum EmergencyP.O. Box 263 Mangum OK 73554580-782-3254
Harmon County Emg. Mgmt.221 East Lincoln Hollis OK 73550 800-477-0262
Harper Co/Laverne EmergencyP.O. Box 369 Buffalo OK 7383480-735-2030
Haskell County Emergency Mgmt202 East Main Stigler OK 74462918-967-4488
Hughes County Emergency Mgmt200 N. Broadway Holdenville OK 74848405-379-7740
Jackson Co Emergency Mgmt101 N. Main Rm 101 Altus OK 73521580-482-0229
Jefferson Co Emergency Mgmt220 N. Main St Waurika OK 73573580-228-2341
Johnston Co Emergency Mgmt 604 E 24th Tishomingo OK 73460580-371-0174
Kay County Emergency MgmtPO Box 450 Newkirk OK 74647580-362-3825
Kingfisher Co/City EmergencyP.O. Box 525 Kingfisher OK 73750405-375-5662
Kiowa County Emergency Mgmt 316 S Main Hobart OK 73651580-726-3377
Latimer County/Wilburton EM104 W Ada Wilburton OK 74578918-465-3582
Leflore Co Emergency Mgmt1215 S. Broadway Poteau OK 74953918-649-0530
Lincoln Co Emergency Mgmt811 Manvel Suite 4 Chandler OK 74834405-258-1285
Logan Co/Guthrie Emergency312 E. Harrison, Suite 1 Guthrie OK 73044 405-282-0494
Love Co/Marietta Emergency Mgm101 W Main Marietta OK 73448580-276-5861
Major County Emergency Mgmt.500 East Broadway Fairview OK 73737580-227-3126
Marshall County/Madill EM201 E. Overton Madill OK 73446 580-795-2577
Mayes County Emergency Mgmt1 Court Pl Suite 140 Pryor OK 74361918-825-4650
McClain Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 548 New Castle OK 73065405-288-2064
McCurtain Co. Emergency Mgmt827 E Lincoln Rd Idabel OK 74745580-208-2604
McIntosh Co/EufaulaP.O. Box 722 Eufaula OK 74432918-689-3441
Murray Co Emergency Mgmt.P.O. Box 1-N Dougherty OK 73032
Muskogee County EmergencyP.O. Box 2274 Muskogee OK 74402918-682-2551
Noble Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 1 Perry OK 73077580-370-5676
Nowata Co. Emergency Mgmt229 N. Maple Nowata OK 74048918-273-2287
Okfuskee Co Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 108 Okemah OK 74859918-623-9289
Oklahoma Co Emergency Mgmt320 Robert S. Kerr, Suit Oklahoma City OK 73102405-713-1369
Okmulgee Co EM110 N. Alabama Ave. Okmulgee OK 74447918-759-9984
Osage Co Emergency Mgmt 125 E 6th St Pawhuska OK 74056918-287-2285
Ottawa County Emergency Mgmt123 East Central Suite 1 Miami OK 74354918-541-9391
Pawnee County Emergency1305 W. Peninsula Dr. Cleveland OK 74020918-243-7142
Payne Co. Emergency Mgmt 315 W. 6th Ave, Suite 2 Stillwater OK 74074405-533-6875
Pittsburg Co/McAlester EM1210 N. West Street McAlester OK 74501918-423-5655
Pontotoc County Emergency Mgmt P.O. Box 1425 Ada OK 74820580-436-8055
Pottawatomie Co/ Shawnee EMP.O. Box 1448 Shawnee OK 74802405-878-1678
Pushmataha Antlers Emergency100 SE 2nd Antlers OK 74523580-271-2170
Roger Mills CountyP.O. Box 708 Cheyenne OK 73628580-497-3522
Rogers Co Emergency Mgmt219 S. Missouri B-113 Claremore OK 74017
Seminole Co Emergency Mgmt110 S Wewoka Ave, Sui Wewoka OK 74884405-257-5445
Sequoyah Co Emergency Mgmt117 S. Oak Sallisaw OK 74955-918-775-1216
Stephens Co/Duncan Emergency101 South 11th Street Duncan OK 73533580-255-3411
Texas County Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 197 Guymon OK 73942580-651-705
Tillman County Emergency MgmtP.O. Box 992 Frederick OK 73542580-335-7549
Tulsa City/Co Area600 Civic Center, EOC Tulsa OK 74103918-596-9898
Wagoner Co Emergency Mgmt 16555 S 305th E Ave Coweta OK 74429918-521-4007
Washington Co/Bartlesville3931 SE Adams Rd Bartlesville OK 74005918-331-2710
Washita Co Emergency Mgmt125 W. Main Cordell OK 73632 580-832-3356
Woodward County/City1219 8th Street Woodward OK 73801405-466-5356


Contract Delivery

Business continuity

The Center for Organizational Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay examined what sets apart small businesses that recover from those that fail after being affected by a disaster. The research report, written by Daniel J. Alesch, James N. Holly, Elliott Mittler and Robert Nagy, looks at the factors and variables that interact in complex ways to affect small business recovery. Five variables were found to be critical to long-term survival of an organization after a natural disaster:

  • The disaster’s impact on the organization’s clientele. If the organization’s clientele is displaced from the area following the disaster, it is much more difficult for the organization to survive, because it will have to completely rebuild its client base.
  • The availability of convenient substitute goods or services. If substitute goods or services are easily available while the organization is shut down after a natural disaster, it will be more difficult for the organization to maintain its client base.
  • Pre-disaster major trends in the organization’s industry and the individual organization’s position in relation to those trends. If the organization is in a declining industry, it is less likely to recover, especially if the organization’s business is already declining.
  • The extent of financial resources lost by the organization. The fewer financial resources the organization has to rebuild, relocate or take other appropriate action, the less likely it is to survive.
  • The owner/operators ability to adapt to the new business environment. If the owner/operator is unable to appreciate the change in the business environment and make the necessary changes, the organization is less likely to survive.

Reacting to a natural disaster or emergency not only means ensuring the immediate safety of employees, but also planning how the business will continue to function in the aftermath. Limiting the amount of time your business is closed after an emergency situation is crucial; according to a 2006 survey by Harris Interactive, about 51 percent of companies said their customers would tolerate only a few hours of unplanned down time.

After you’ve made plans to ensure the safety of your employees, the following advice can help keep your business operating and meeting your customer’s needs in the wake of a disaster.


Getting organized

Contact all employees to provide them with a status report and assign tasks. As needed, appoint liaisons from your office to work with each of the following entities:

  • Building management
  • Health department
  • Emergency management agencies
  • Other governmental agencies
  • Utility companies, including electric, gas, water, phone
  • Insurance agent
  • Banker
  • Key vendors
  • Post office
  • Other vital services

Contact vendors/suppliers to confirm their emergency response plan procedures. Establish a succession of management for the company. Determine who will manage the company if key leaders are unavailable. Communication is the key to maintaining clients and customers. Let your customers/vendors know your company’s status and when your business will assume normal operations. Be prepared to use alternate vendors for essential supplies and equipment depending on how much they were impacted by the disaster.

If your property is safe to enter, gather up all available paper records and begin the process of assessing damage, sorting and prioritizing restoration. Paper records damaged by water will begin to deteriorate within two to three hours; mold, fungal and bacterial growth will occur within 24 hours. Specific procedures must be followed in order to properly dry or freeze documents. (Freezing will preserve paper for up to six years for later drying.) If necessary, access extra checks stored off-site. Contact your bank for replacement checks.

Establish an emergency communication system to help your business communicate with employees, customers and vendors. This could involve setting up an emergency hotline and recorded message or arranging for a forwarding number. Keep in mind that after a disaster, it is often easier to make outgoing calls than to receive incoming ones. Therefore, it may be necessary to designate a contact outside the disaster zone who can act as a clearinghouse for information.

Post updates on social media sites, your business’s website and any other resources to communicate with your business network.


Alternative location

Determine alternate locations for your business to operate if you are displaced from your current building. This could mean enabling employees to work from home or finding an alternate location for your office. Depending on the size and location of your business, possibilities include hotels, motels, trailers, recreational vehicles, mobile food carts, space in other companies or firms with which you are associated, space in a satellite office, other suitable space in your existing building or space in your home.

If necessary, contact the post office about an alternate delivery location. Post a sign at your old location directing people to your temporary location. Consider advertising that temporary location in the local newspaper, and encourage customers to contact you to touch base. Be sure that anyone answering the phone informs all callers of your new location. Communicate all news and changes to your business on your website and social media.



If necessary, contact vendors to lease equipment or permanently replace damaged items (computers, network servers, printers, fax machines, copier, postage meter, desks, chairs, etc.). If your computers have been damaged from the disaster, get professional assistance to help in the recovery and repair of your computer system. Make it clear that your top priority is the data, not the equipment itself. A reputable repair shop can clean and test the system and, if necessary, use a package such as Norton Utilities to recover your data. More likely than not, the data stored on the hard drive can be recovered.


Contracts FAQ

If my business was physically destroyed or damaged by the disaster, do my contracts for goods and services need to be performed?
It depends. A party will be relieved from its obligation to supply goods or perform services if, without the party’s fault, performance of the contract has become impossible. However, the impossibility must be “objective” in the sense that no one can perform the contract. For example, a contract to clean a house that was destroyed would be impossible to perform. If reasonable alternative means for performance of the contract are available, impossibility likely will not apply. However, other legal doctrines, as described below, may apply.

My business has not incurred damage; however, my business has deteriorated substantially after the disaster. Do my contracts for goods and services need to be performed?
Yes. Typically, impossibility excuses a party’s performance only when the destruction of the subject matter of the contract or the means of performance renders performance impossible. In addition, a party may be excused from performing its contractual obligations if performance is found to be impracticable. If a party has other ways to perform the obligations and only one option is precluded, that is not generally considered impracticable, even if the remaining option is more burdensome or more expensive.

Does a “force majeure” clause in a contract that my business has with another party automatically relieve the other party of its liability under the contract?
No. A “force majeure” clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party to the contract from performing because of the occurrence of an event beyond the party’s control. The other party may or may not be liable depending on the provisions of the force majeure clause. A party may excuse itself from liability under a force majeure clause only by showing that the event preventing its performance was contemplated by the force majeure clause.

A force majeure clause may be drafted broadly (to include a few events such as an “act of war” and a catch-all phrase such as “or other events beyond its control” or “unavoidable causes”) or more narrowly (listing the specific events that prevent performance and including only a narrow catch-all). Even if the contract does not contain a force majeure clause, or if the clause is not broad enough to include the events surrounding the disaster, it is possible that a contract will not be enforced due to “impossibility” and related doctrines discussed above.

If the business owner or key employee is incapacitated, does the business still need to perform contracts of personal service?
No. If the primary purpose of a personal services contract is to permit a specified person to perform in a certain manner, there is an implied intent by the parties to hold each other liable only if the health and life of that person permits continued performance. To be covered under this general rule, the act or acts to be performed must be ones that can be performed only by the particular individual named in the contract.

What happens to advances received from third parties (or given to third parties) where the performance of the contract is excused?
If goods or services are not supplied, advances must be returned.

What if I can no longer deliver or accept goods under my contracts? Can someone else perform on my behalf?
Absent a provision in the contract prohibiting assignment, a party may be able to delegate or assign its duties or rights under a contract to someone else unless the other party has a substantial interest in having the original promisor perform the acts required by the contract. The rights of the buyer or seller also may be assigned unless the assignment would significantly change the duty of the other party, increase the burden or risk imposed on him by the contract or significantly impair the chance of obtaining return performance. Parties delegating or assigning duties will still be liable under the original contract. Many commercial contracts provide that duties of the buyer and seller cannot be delegated or assigned without the prior written consent of the other party.


Liability for damaged property

What if goods that were paid for by the buyer were destroyed before they could be delivered?
In the absence of an agreement to the contrary, risk of loss of goods subject to sale passes in the following manner: (1) if a contract requires physical delivery of identified goods to a specific destination, title passes on tender of the goods at that destination; (2) if the contract does not specify a place of delivery, title passes at the time and place of shipment; (3) if delivery is to be made without moving the goods, title passes at the time and place documents of title are to be delivered; and (4) if no documents of title are delivered, title passes at the time and place of contract. An insurance policy may cover damage to or destruction of the goods.

If I have equipment that was either leased or purchased on credit and is now destroyed or damaged, am I obligated to continue making payments on the equipment?
This question is usually governed by the terms of the specific contract, lease or credit agreement. In addition, the loss of equipment could be covered by an insurance policy. If the equipment was not covered by an insurance policy, most likely payments must continue to be made.

Is my business liable for damage to a customer’s property caused by the disaster, flooding or looting? Is my dry cleaner or laundry business liable for damage to customers’ clothing that was in the store? Is my jewelry/TV/watch repair store liable for damages to customers’ property that was in the store for purposes of repair or maintenance?
Probably not. When the owner of personal property (a bailor) delivers the property to another (a bailee) for a particular purpose, with the understanding that the property must be returned to the owner, a bailment contract is formed. In each of the three situations above, a bailment relationship exists for benefit of both parties because the bailee receives compensation and the bailor receives a service. Therefore, the bailee would only be liable to the bailor for property damaged through the bailee’s negligence. Because the relevant legal standard is the bailee’s negligence, it is necessary to consider how the property was damaged or lost and what actions the bailee took to protect it.

Destruction caused by the disaster or looting would not likely be a breach of the bailment contract. However, the other jewelry stores carried customer merchandise out of the store and one jeweler did not, then that jeweler may be deemed negligent. In addition, if all dry cleaners except one locked the door when evacuating, that dry cleaner may be deemed negligent if a customer’s clothes were stolen.


Lost checks or correspondence

If, for example, my insurance payment premium was due on April 30 and the payment was sent on April 27, would the policy cover damages that occurred on August 29, even if the payment was not received on the actual due date or was destroyed in the mail?
The posting rule (or “mailbox rule” in the U.S., or “postal rule” or “deposited acceptance rule”) is an exception to the general rule of contract law in common law countries that acceptance takes place when communicated. The posting rule states, by contrast, that acceptance takes effect when a letter is posted. One rationale given for the rule is that the offeror nominates the post office as implied agent and thus receipt of the acceptance by the post office is regarded as that of the offeree. The “mailbox rule” or “postal acceptance rule” described above also applies to insurance premiums. Assuming that the insurance company requested that the premium be mailed and the premium payment was mailed in a timely manner, the insurance company is obligated to defend and indemnify the insured party.

What if a check was mailed but it was not received?
There are different alternatives depending on the type of check that was lost:
Checks payable from debtor’s account: A bank customer has a right to stop payment of any item, including a check, drawn on that customer’s account. After the stop payment is made, the debtor may issue a new check without bearing the risk of loss should the bank fail to stop the original check.
Certified checks: Since certified checks are drawn by the bank, the bank is not required to stop payment on lost or destroyed checks and issue replacements unless an indemnity bond of twice the unpaid amount is posted. This serves to protect banks from potential double liability, should a holder of the lost check later present it for payment.

My business has a city contract on which we have performed, but payment on vouchers has been delayed due to the disaster. What action can I take to expedite processing and payment?
Many cities may experience delays in making various contract payments due to the effects of the disaster, a situation that has been impaired by the reallocation of resources. The first step is to try and contact your contract manager who should have the most current information about the agency’s operations. If you cannot locate the contract manager or if he or she lacks information, you can contact the city government. If payment is still not forthcoming, you may be able to file a notice of dispute, depending on the procedures of the city government. You likely will need to continue to supply services during adjudication of any disputes or you will be considered in breach of contract.

Employees & Layoffs


The answers to each of the following questions are based on the assumption that the affected employees are not covered by a collective bargaining agreement and do not have an employment contract with their employer. In the event that the affected employees are covered by a collective bargaining agreement or an employment contract, the employer should consult the terms and conditions of those agreements and contracts. Similarly, if the employer has certain established employment policies, the employer should consult and comply with its policies.

Worker laws can be either state or federal. Federal labor laws apply to all workers in the country while state laws apply in their own areas. Some states make few laws of their own and rely mainly on federal law to regulate employer-employee relations, while others set their own laws.

Employees FAQ

Does an employer have to pay its employees for the days that the business was closed as a result of the disaster and its aftermath?
The answer to this question depends on whether the employee is considered an “exempt” employee or a “non-exempt” employee for purposes of federal and state wage-and-hour laws. Every employee must be treated as either exempt (not entitled to premium pay for overtime hours worked) or non-exempt (entitled to premium pay for overtime hours worked) under federal and state wage-and-hour laws.

The determination of whether an employee is “exempt” or “non-exempt” is a complicated, fact-specific determination. Generally speaking, an employee is considered a non-exempt employee if the employee is paid on an hourly basis and not on a salary basis. In contrast, to be considered an exempt employee, an employee must be paid on a salary basis and must have certain job duties and responsibilities that are executive, administrative or professional (among others) as required under the applicable wage and-hour laws.

An employer is not required to pay its non-exempt employees for any days or hours that the employees did not work because the business was closed following the disaster. The employer is, however, required to pay the non-exempt employee for any hours worked prior to the disaster. An exempt employee should receive his or her full salary for any week in which he or she performs any work without regard to the number of days or hours worked. Thus, if an exempt employee worked on Monday, May 20th, but worked no other days during the week, then the employer should pay the employee his or her full salary for that week.

If an employer’s records were destroyed as a result of the disaster and its aftermath, what basic payroll records does the employer need to try to recreate?
Under federal law, every employer must establish, maintain and preserve weekly payroll records, including the following information for each employee:

  • Employee’s full name, as used for social security purposes
  • Address, including zip code
  • Birth date, if younger than 19
  • Sex and occupation
  • Time and day of week when employee’s work week begins
  • Hours worked each day and total hours worked each workweek
  • Basis on which employee’s wages are paid
  • Regular hourly pay rate
  • Total daily or weekly straight-time earnings
  • Total overtime earnings for the work week
  • All additions to, or deductions from, the employee’s wages
  • Total wages paid each pay period, including money paid in cash
  • Date of payment and the pay period covered by the payment

There is no special rule relieving employers of this obligation in connection with a disaster.

When must an employer pay its workers if the employer’s payroll records were destroyed?
Any organization employing as many as 50 or more employees must make full payment to employees for services performed as often as once every two weeks, or twice during each calendar month. This payment must include all amounts due for labor or services performed up to not less than 15 days previous to the time of payment.

Does an employer have to reimburse its employees for the destruction or loss of any of their personal items, such as personal computers or cars that they may have used for business purposes?
You should consult with your insurance provider to determine whether loss of employees’ personal property is covered by any insurance policy. Ordinarily, employers are not responsible for reimbursing employees for the loss or damage to personal property an employee chose to bring to the work site.

Once an employer reopens its business, does the employer have to pay its employees for the days on which a transportation problem or some other obstacle prevented them from reporting to work?
This also depends on whether the employee is considered an exempt or non-exempt employee. For purposes of wage-and-hour laws, the employer is not required to pay a non-exempt employee for any days or hours that the employee was absent from work due to a transportation problem or some other obstacle that prevented him or her from reporting to work. An exempt employee should receive his or her full salary for any week in which he or she performed any work.

May an employer require its employees to use their accrued vacation or sick leave to cover their absences from work due to the disaster?
Once the employer reopens, if an employee is unable to report to work due to the disaster, the employer may require an employee to use his or her accrued vacation or sick leave to cover his or her absences, provided that this is consistent with the employer’s leave policies and provided that the employee’s absence from work does not qualify as leave pursuant to the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

Leave under the FMLA. The FMLA provides that a covered employee may take up to a total of 12 weeks’ unpaid leave during any 12-month period for certain qualifying reasons. During the leave period, the employer must maintain the employee’s health benefits and must guarantee that the employee will be reinstated to the same or an equivalent position.

The FMLA applies to only those employers that employ 50 or more employees for each working day in each of 20 or more calendar workweeks in the current or preceding calendar year. An employee is entitled to FMLA leave if the employee (1) has been with the employer for at least 12 months, (2) logged at least 1,250 hours of services during the 12-month period immediately preceding the start of the leave and (3) is employed at a work site where 50 or more employees are employed by the employer or within 75 miles of that work site. FMLA leave may be taken to care for the employee’s spouse, child or parent with a serious health condition or because of a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the functions of the employee’s position.

Eligible employees are entitled to 12 work weeks of leave in a 12-month period for:

  • the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
  • the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
  • to care for the employee’s spouse, child or parent who has a serious health condition;
  • a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
  • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
  • twenty-six work weeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness who is the spouse, son, daughter, parent or next of kin to the employee (military caregiver leave).

For compliance information, see http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

Is an employee entitled to either paid or unpaid leave so that he or she can care for children or family members injured by the disaster?
If the employee is entitled to FMLA leave as described above, the employer must allow the employee to take FMLA leave. This leave does not have to be paid leave, but the employee may be able to use accrued vacation or sick leave for the absence. Also, if the employer has a specific policy providing for leave under such circumstances, the employer will be required to comply with its policy.

Is an employee entitled to either paid or unpaid leave if the employee is too afraid or emotionally traumatized to return to work?
If the employee is suffering from post-traumatic stress or some other mental condition, the employer may be required to provide the employee with unpaid leave under the FMLA. However, the employee will have to meet the applicable requirements of the FMLA, as set forth above. If the employer provides paid leave, the employee may be able to use his or her accrued vacation or sick leave for the absence.

Health and welfare benefits FAQ

Are there sources beyond or in lieu of employers’ own insurance policies to alleviate some of the financial burden caused by the disaster?
Many of the individuals injured by the disaster may be able to receive benefits from a number of sources, including federal government assistance, charitable donations and unemployment compensation. Thus, employers should, without delaying treatment for any employees or their dependents, pay special attention to the rules of their policies regarding subrogation and the order of benefit determinations.

What can employers do to help their employees recover psychologically from the trauma of the disaster and its aftermath?
Plans may experience an increase in mental health claims, as well as more requests for assistance under employee assistance programs (EAPs). Employers should advise their employees of the availability and importance of such counseling, both for themselves and their families. If an employer does not have an EAP, counseling and other related services are available on a fee-paying basis.

What should be done about Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) coverage?
COBRA generally requires that group health plans sponsored by employers with 20 or more employees in the prior year offer employees and their families the opportunity for a temporary extension of health coverage (called continuation coverage) in certain instances where coverage under the plan would otherwise end due to a “qualifying event” (such as the death of the covered employee, termination of employment or reduction of hours sufficient to cause the loss of medical coverage). Employees self-pay the premium.

Once an affected employee loses coverage as a result of one of these events, the employer must take action to notify the plan administrator within the prescribed time period. Qualified beneficiaries must be informed of their right to continued health insurance coverage under COBRA within 44 days (the employer must notify plan administrator within 30 days, which must then notify eligible dependents within 14 days) of a qualifying event. All required notices regarding COBRA should be carefully documented and timely. Generally, the qualified beneficiary has 60 days from the later of (a) the date of termination of coverage, or (b) his or her receipt of a COBRA notice to elect to continue coverage. COBRA coverage can usually continue for up to 18 months for the employee and the employee’s dependents and for 36 months for family members of a deceased worker.


Does an employer have to provide its employees with any prior notice of termination if the employer determines that it is necessary to lay off employees?
No, if the employer does not have an established policy requiring that prior notice be given, the emergency circumstances of the disaster would relieve the employer of a notice obligation. Usually, employers with more than 100 employees may have an obligation to provide certain notice to its employees pursuant to the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act. However, the WARN Act contains an “Act of God” provision if the layoff or shutdown is the result of a natural disaster. Note that employers with established policies requiring that prior notice be given may be required to comply with their policies.

Does an employer have to provide its employees with severance pay if the employer determines to lay off employees?
No, so long as the employer does not have a plan, policy or practice providing for the payment of severance benefits. The state laws of Missouri, as well as federal law, do not require employers to provide severance pay to departing employees.

Is a self-employed, small business owner eligible to receive unemployment insurance benefits?
No. Self-employed, small business owners (sole proprietorships and members of a partnership or limited liability company) as well as independent contractors are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. However, persons denied unemployment insurance benefits may be eligible for disaster unemployment assistance (DUA).

Workers who lost their jobs directly as a result of the disaster in the declared counties may quality for disaster unemployment assistance. Generally, those who are eligible for state unemployment benefits are not eligible for DUA, but a claimant may qualify if state unemployment compensation benefits are exhausted.

Those who may be eligible for disaster unemployment assistance include anyone who (1) no longer has a job; (2) was unable to reach his or her job; (3) was scheduled to start work in the major disaster area and the job no longer exists; (4) now serves as the breadwinner or major supporter of a family because the head of household died; or (5) cannot work because of an injury suffered during the major disaster.
Self-employed individuals must show a copy of their 2010 income tax records.

Note: If you are applying for DUA, call 525-1500 (inside OKC area) and 1-800-555-1554 (outside the OKC area)first to get a registration number.

Success Story…AAA Insurance

Business Description: Insurance product sales

Problem Identification: The client requested assistance from SBDC to assist with market research for a start up insurance agency. She has successfully owned a staffing agency in Durant, OK and believed with her contacts she could run a successful insurance company. She had already identified the franchise that she was interested in pursuing and requested assistance in determining the market opportunities and research of the competition in the area.

Assistance Provided: The SBDC provided Geographic Information System (GIS) market research data regarding consumer insurance spending and the competitors in the area. Her SBDC advisor provided guidance and advising on the information provided in the reports. The advisor also assisted with the business plan.

Results Achieved: The business was successful in opening in June of 2015. The new insurance agency created three new jobs.

Click here for more details Video

Success Story…Archery Traditions of Oklahoma

Business Description: Recreational and educational services in traditional archery including archery indoor range, retail store, and educational classes.

Problem Identification: The client followed up from the tax classes to make sure the business was started correctly according to state law, as well as needing some assistance in the business plan and loan preparation.

Assistance Provided: The SBDC assisted in business strategy and financial projections, through one-on-one consulting, and mentoring– encouraging him to be the successful business owner.

Results Achieved: The client attained $75,000 from investors and a $30,000 SBA working capital loan for inventory. Within a year, Ken and his family began operating a large flexible indoor archery range, which includes a 3D target section.

Click here for more details Video

Success Story…Bethel Pharmacy

Business Description: Compounding Pharmacy

Problem Identification: The client requested assistance from SBDC to assist with the completion of the business plan. Client’s passion was to provide better education and medication management for the inner city residents and income challenged senior citizens. Client was applying for funding from Tulsa Economic Development Center. They needed the funds for site build out, prescription inventory, and working capital.

Assistance Provided: The SBDC advisor assisted client with the business plan, including all of the financials.

Results Achieved: The client was successful in obtaining a low interest loan from Tulsa Economic Development Center in the amount of $312,000. The client also received additional financing from the drug manufacturer in the amount of $50,000 and invested personal funds in the amount of $15,000. The business created three full time jobs.

Success Story…Superior Thermal Solutions LLC

Business Description: Insulation services provider of foam, fiberglass, and cellulose as well as foam roofing installations and repair.

Problem Identification: The client requested assistance from SBDC to assist with the steps to develop and complete his business plan, determine the market feasibility, and obtain financing.

Assistance Provided: The SBDC advisor assisted with the completion of the business plan including projections and financials, assisted with review of industry data including Geographic Information System (GIS) and competitor data review in the region, understanding ownership structures and setting up his LLC, obtaining necessary permits, understanding costing and bidding, setting up social media accounts, and developing marketing plans.

Results Achieved: This client was successful in obtaining a loan from Arvest Bank for the purchase of his insulation trailer, equipment, and start up inventory. The client has since upgraded his company truck and plans to purchase additional equipment. The business has been successful and has created one full time and one part time job to date.

Finding a Contractor

The Oklahoma Construction Industries Board has been set up to assist Oklahomans in finding licensed contractors. The mission of the Construction Industries Board is to protect life and properly by licensing and inspection of the related trades for the health, safety, and welfare of the public.

Construction Industries Board

2401 NW 23rd St, Suite 2F
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Local: (405) 521-6550
Toll Free: (877) 484-4424
Fax: (405) 521-6525
Website: www.ok.gov/cib

Office Hours & Additional Information

* Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday except on Holidays.

  • Ask friends, neighbors and co-workers for contractor referrals.
  • Contact local trade organizations, such as the Builder’s Association or Remodeler’s Council for the names of members in your area.
  • Contact the vendors who sell supplies to contractors.
  • Check Google reviews and other online review sites to gather feedback from previous customers of the contractor.

Hiring a Contractor

When hiring a contractor, watch out for scam artists. You should be especially weary of phone or door-to-door solicitations that promise to speed up the insurance or building process and those who ask for large cash deposits or advance payments in full.

Consumers should also be aware that some rip-off artists may pretend to be employed by FEMA or other agencies. Some traits of scams or con artists can include:

  • Lack of proper identification: A FEMA or SBA shirt or jacket is not absolute proof of someone’s affiliation with an agency. Ask to see the laminated photo identification card; if they don’t have it, they are probably not official.
  • Going door-to-door: Persons going door-to-door to damaged homes or phoning victims claiming to be building contractors could be frauds. If callers solicit personal information such as Social Security or bank account numbers, they are not official. FEMA inspectors may come to your neighborhood, but all FEMA inspectors will have proper laminated photo identification. Remember, FEMA and SBA inspectors never charge applicants for disaster assistance or for inspections. If in doubt, do not give out information.
  • Charging fees to be put on a list or fees to have forms filled out: Some scammers have asked for upfront money to be put on a list or demanded fees to fill out the disaster loan application.
  • Offers to increase the amount of your disaster damage assessment: This is not wise and is a sure sign of a scam.
  • Asking for cash upfront: Under no circumstances are FEMA and other agency representatives allowed to accept money. FEMA inspectors assess damage but do not hire or endorse specific contractors.

If you suspect a repair rip-off, fill out a consumer complaint application with the Oklahoma Attorney General’s office. You can find the complaint forms at https://www.oag.ok.gov/consumer-protection-unit. If you suspect fraud, waste or abuse involving FEMA disaster assistance programs, report it to FEMA’s Inspector General’s Office at (800) 323-8603.

In addition to taking precautions to prevent getting ripped-off, the following will assist you in hiring a contractor to get your business up and running:

  • Get a written estimate. Compare services and prices before making a final decision. Also, read the fine print. Some contractors charge a fee for a written estimate, which is often applied to the cost of subsequent repairs they make.
  • Check references. Contractors should be willing to provide names of previous customers. Call several former customers who had similar work done to make sure they were satisfied with the job.
  • Ask for proof of insurance. Make sure the contractor carries general liability and workers’ compensation insurance. If the contractor is not insured, you may be liable for accidents that occur on the property.
  • Use reliable, licensed contractors. Call the local building inspector, Better Business Bureau, Home Builders Association, Building Trade Council or the local Chamber of Commerce to see if any complaints have been filed against the contractor.
  • Insist on a written contract. A complete contract should clearly state all tasks to be performed, all associated costs and the payment schedule. Never sign a blank contract or one with blank spaces. Make sure the contract clearly states who will apply for the necessary permits or licenses. Have a lawyer review the contract if substantial costs are involved, and keep a copy for your records.
  • Get guarantees in writing. Any guarantees made by the contractor should be written into the contract. The guarantee should clearly state what is guaranteed, who is responsible for the guarantee and how long the guarantee is valid.
  • Obtain a local building permit, if required. Permits may be required for site work other than demolition and for reconstruction. Contact your local government for permit information.
  • Make final payments when the work is completed. Do not sign completion papers or make the final payment until the work is completed to your satisfaction. A reputable contractor will not threaten you or pressure you to sign if the job is not finished properly.
  • Pay by check. Avoid on-the-spot cash payments. The safest route is to write a check to the contracting company. A reasonable down payment is 30 percent of the total cost of the project, to be paid upon initial delivery of materials. Federal law gives consumers a three-day “cooling off” period for unsolicited door-to-door sales of more than $25.
  • If necessary, cancel a contract in the proper manner. This should be done within three business days of signing. Be sure to follow the procedures for cancellation that are set out in the contract. Send the notification by registered mail with a return receipt to be signed by the contractor.

Construction Contracts

  • Get a written contract.
  • Specify the start and finish dates to protect your interests, but realize that bad weather, unavailable materials or other problems may affect these dates.
  • Include pay schedules and itemized prices. If you want special materials such as hardwood trim or top grade lumber, be sure this is specified.
  • If possible, have a lawyer review all contracts and related documents before you sign.
  • Don’t make a large first payment, and don’t pay for the project in full until work has been completed and inspected.
  • Clearly state any warranties or guarantees on the work.
  • Be sure you and the contractor sign the agreement, with each of you keeping original copies.

Leases FAQ

The following questions are designed to provide general information for small businesses that rent their space from a landlord and for landlords who rent space to small businesses. Generally, the rights of both the tenant and the landlord will be determined by the provisions of your lease. There is no one single “standard” form of lease, even though many leases are based on preprinted lease forms. The provisions of a lease that covers these matters can vary significantly, even for different leases in the same building.

A legal professional will need to check the provisions of your lease carefully to answer these questions for your particular case. The following is only general advice for tenants and landlords regarding property that is damaged or unusable as a result of destruction relating to the disaster. The advice is based on general principles of state law in Oklahoma and some of the form leases commonly used in Oklahoma and should not be relied upon without first consulting an attorney.

What happens if the building or property that is leased is destroyed? Does the lease automatically terminate? Does the tenant have to pay rent?
To answer these questions, you will need to first check your lease to see if there is a specific written provision setting forth what happens if the leased premises are totally destroyed or partially destroyed. Most business leases include this type of provision, and these provisions may include definitions that will help you to determine whether your building has been totally destroyed or partially destroyed. If your lease contains such written provisions, those written provisions will govern and should provide the answer to your question.

If your lease does not contain specific provisions setting forth what happens when the leased premises are totally or partially destroyed, or if you do not have a written lease, then this question will be answered based on general provisions of state law.

Generally, unless a lease contains specific provisions to the contrary, a lease automatically terminates only when the leased premises are “totally destroyed.” The critical factor is whether the leased premises are “totally destroyed” or only “partially destroyed.” Determining whether the premises are totally or partially destroyed is a fact determination made on a case-by-case basis. In most situations, the lease will terminate only if the premises are “totally unfit for use.”

Whether the property is totally unfit for use will depend on several factors. The primary factor is the extent of damage. For example, a building that burns to the ground or is completely submerged by floodwaters would likely be considered totally destroyed. But if the damage is limited (for example, if only the roof is damaged or floodwater only damaged the floor or carpet of a leased building), then the tenant probably cannot terminate the lease on the basis of that damage.

Another factor is the landlord’s ability to repair the premises. If the landlord can repair the damage in a reasonable period of time, then the tenant may not be able to terminate the lease. The length of time that a landlord has to make repairs will depend on the circumstances and may hinge on the term of the lease. If a lease is for a term of 10 years and there are still eight years remaining on the lease, it might be reasonable for the landlord to take 30 or 60 days to make repairs. But if the lease is for a shorter term or if there are only several months left on the lease, then 30 or 60 days would not be reasonable and the tenant should be entitled to terminate the lease.

In some cases, it is necessary for the tenant to provide notice before terminating the lease. Once the lease is terminated, the tenant is relieved of any obligation to pay rent. But until the lease is terminated, the tenant must continue to pay rent according to the terms of the lease. In some cases, the tenant may be able to pay an adjusted rent until necessary repairs are made, but the need for repairs does not automatically release the tenant from its obligation to pay rent.

Is the landlord obligated to rebuild the building?
Again, it is important to refer to your lease, as commercial leases generally have provisions dealing with the landlord’s obligations to rebuild. Absent an express provision in the lease, the answer generally depends on the severity of the damage. If the leased premises are partially damaged or rendered partially unusable for the purpose for which it was leased, then the landlord is obligated to make all necessary repairs at its expense.

If the building is so seriously damaged that the landlord decides to demolish or rebuild it, or in the event the premises are totally damaged or rendered wholly unusable, the landlord may terminate the lease rather than rebuilding.

Does the tenant have the right to terminate the lease if the landlord plans to rebuild the building?
Although law provides the tenant with a right to terminate the lease if the premises are partially destroyed, commercial leases almost always have specific provisions which supersede the statute. Tenants should consult their own lease.

Can the landlord terminate the lease if the premises are partially destroyed?
A landlord can terminate a lease when (1) the lease itself gives the landlord a right to terminate when a disaster renders the premises partially unusable, or (2) the landlord and tenant mutually agree to terminate the lease.

If the landlord terminates the lease, is the tenant entitled to receive its security deposit?
Details regarding the refund of the security deposit will be controlled by the terms of the lease.

Is the landlord required to repair and restore the tenant’s furniture and equipment?
Generally, the landlord is not required to repair any damage to the tenant’s furniture and/or furnishings or any fixtures, equipment, improvements or appurtenances that are removable. This damage should be covered by the tenant’s insurance company.

Is the tenant obligated to pay rent during the time that the landlord makes repairs on the building?
Again, this depends on the severity of the damage. Determining whether premises are totally or partially destroyed is a fact determination made on a case-by-case basis. To be considered “totally destroyed,” the premises must cease to be fit for use. Extreme flood or storm damage is likely to be considered “total destruction,” while minor flood or storm damage is most likely only a partial destruction.

Rent reductions will be governed by the terms of the lease. In any case, before paying less than full rent, the tenant should always talk to the landlord to reach a mutual agreement on any rent reduction. If the landlord and the tenant cannot agree on the appropriate amount of the reduction, then the tenant must sue and have a court decide the amount.

In the event the premises are totally damaged or rendered wholly unusable, the lease terminates with no further liability on the part of the tenant or the landlord. The tenant does not have to continue rent payments from the time of the destruction.

Once the landlord completes the restoration of the premises, the tenant may still have work to do to repair installations, phones, office equipment, etc. The tenant will be obligated to pay rent during this time period, but may be able to cover the cost of that rent from proceeds of the tenant’s business interruption insurance policy.

Note: commercial leases have specific provisions governing rent abatement in the event of destruction of the premises, and these provisions dictate the rights of the landlord or tenant. Refer to your lease for the terms that apply to your situation.

How long can the landlord take to repair the premises?
If the landlord elects or is required to repair the premises, the landlord must do so reasonably expeditiously, subject to delays due to adjustment of insurance claims, labor troubles and causes beyond the landlord’s control.

Can the tenant withhold rent if the landlord has failed to repair the premises in a timely manner after the disaster?
Generally, a tenant remains obligated to pay rent if the premises are usable and are not totally destroyed or made unusable, as discussed above. Thus the requirement to pay rent is not generally dependent on whether the landlord makes timely repairs, unless the tenant decides to terminate the lease on this basis. The tenant may terminate the lease, if the landlord fails to timely repair the premises in a timely manner. In that case, once the lease is terminated, the tenant is no longer required to pay rent.

If the landlord elects to terminate the lease, is the landlord obligated to help the tenant find alternative space or reimburse the tenant for related costs?
No, unless the lease contains a specific provision that provides for this.

Can the landlord rent the premises to someone else while the tenant is gone?
No, a landlord cannot rent the premises to another party unless the lease has been terminated. The landlord has an obligation to make the leased space available to the tenant as long as the lease is in effect. The landlord cannot impair the tenant’s “peaceful possession” of the property unless there has been a default by the tenant and the lease has been terminated.

Can the building be condemned?
Yes. Governmental agencies that have jurisdiction over a building may order it to be condemned if the building is not suitable for safe occupancy. Generally, either FEMA or the local building inspection department is the agency that has jurisdiction to determine that a building cannot safely be occupied.

If the building is condemned, will the property owner be paid for the loss?
When the government condemns property based on a finding that it is no longer habitable or safe for occupancy, the government is not responsible for paying for the loss of the property. Generally, the government is only required to pay for the loss of the property when the property is taken by the government for a public use.

Condemnation of property as unsafe generally is not a “taking” for public use. To the extent the owner can recover the lost value of the condemned property, the property owner might be able to recover all or part of the value of the property from the owner’s insurance (depending on the terms of that insurance) or from FEMA or other relief agencies.

Internal Revenue Service

For this disaster, until June 30, the IRS is postponing certain deadlines for taxpayers who live or have a business in the disaster area. The deadlines in your situation may vary.

  • Under section 7508A, the IRS gives affected taxpayers until June 30 to file most tax returns (including individual, corporate, and estate and trust income tax returns; partnership returns, S corporation returns and trust returns; estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax returns; and employment and certain excise tax returns), or to make tax payments, including estimated tax payments, that have either an original or extended due date occurring on or after April 15 and on or before June 30.
  • The IRS also gives affected taxpayers until June 30 to perform other time-sensitive actions described in Treas. Reg. § 301.7508A-1(c)(1) and Rev. Proc. 2007-56, 2007-34 I.R.B. 388 (August 20, 2007), that are due to be performed on or after April 15 and on or before June 30.
  • This relief also includes the filing of Form 5500 series returns in the manner described in Section 8 of Rev. Proc. 2007-56. The relief described in Section 17 of Rev. Proc. 2007-56, pertaining to like-kind exchanges of property, also applies to certain taxpayers who are not otherwise affected taxpayers and may include acts required to be performed before or after the period above.
  • The postponement of time to file and pay does not apply to information returns in the W-2, 1098, 1099 series, or to Forms 1042-S or 8027. Penalties for failure to timely file information returns can be waived under existing procedures for reasonable cause. Likewise, the postponement does not apply to employment and excise tax deposits. The IRS, however, will abate penalties for failure to make timely employment and excise tax deposits due on or after April 15 and on or before May 2 provided the taxpayer made these deposits by May 2.
  • Affected taxpayers in a federally declared disaster area have the option of claiming disaster-related casualty losses on their federal income tax return for either this year or last year. Claiming the loss on an original or amended return for last year will get the taxpayer an earlier refund, but waiting to claim the loss on this year’s return could result in a greater tax saving, depending on other income factors. See your CPA or Tax Preparer.
  • Individuals may deduct personal property losses that are not covered by insurance or other reimbursements. For details, see Form 4684 and its instructions.
  • Affected taxpayers claiming the disaster loss on last year’s return should put the Disaster Designation “Oklahoma/ Severe Storms and Tornados” at the top of the form so that the IRS can expedite the processing of the refund.
  • Taxpayers may download forms and publications from the official IRS Web site, www.irs.gov, or order them by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). The IRS toll-free number for general tax questions is 1-800-829-1040.
  • If an affected taxpayer receives a penalty notice from the IRS, the taxpayer should call the telephone number on the notice to have the IRS abate any interest and any late filing or late payment penalties that would otherwise apply. Penalties or interest will be abated only for taxpayers who have an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date, including an extended filing or payment due date, that falls within the postponement period.