Oklahoma Department of Commerce
FDI & Trade
The Global Division at the Oklahoma Department of Commerce is committed to growing Oklahoma’s economy through international trade and foreign direct investment.
Foreign Direct Investment in Oklahoma
Oklahoma brings you in touch with more than 80 million people within a 500 mile radius and is equidistant between New York City, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Toronto. Oklahoma is ideally positioned to serve not just America, but NAFTA and world markets as well.
- U.S. subsidiaries of global companies play a vital role in Oklahoma’s economy, insourcing 36,800 jobs-an increase of 8.6 percent over six years.
- U.S. subsidiaries write pay checks to nearly 3 percent of Oklahoma’s private-sector workforce.
- More than 40 percent of jobs at U.S. subsidiaries in Oklahoma are in the manufacturing industry-accounting for 15,700 jobs.
- Oklahoma is home to more than 140 FDI companies. Major sources of foreign investment in Oklahoma include: France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Canada, Switzerland, Japan and Mexico.
The Oklahoma Department of Commerce’s Global team offers a range of personalized services to Oklahoma companies seeking to expand their business by trading internationally. These include trade assistance, access to partners, and STEP Fund financing for international marketing.
The Impact of Trade on Oklahoma
- Oklahoma exported more than $6.2 Billion for 2011
- Export-supported jobs linked to manufacturing accounted for an estimated 4.9% of Oklahoma’s total private-sector employment. Nearly one-quarter (22.5%) of all manufacturing workers in Oklahoma depended on exports for their jobs.
- A total of 2,404 companies exported goods from Oklahoma. Of those, 2,044 (85 percent) were small and medium-sized enterprises. Small and medium-sized enterprises generated over one-third (32 percent) of Oklahoma’s total exports of merchandise.
Prepared by the Office of Trade and Industry Information, International Trade Administration, and U.S. Department of Commerce. (2009 data latest available)